Pages

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Cheesy Cauliflower Pancakes - Yes, please!

I love cauliflower, but other than in a zesty salad, roasted, or steamed, I didn't know how else to prepare it.
That is until I came across this recipe on Pinterest that had my taste buds wanting more after each bite! The recipe I followed, and have copied below, comes from the blog A Good Appetite. It was almost like eating cheese biscuits. I would have never imagined cauliflower tasting so yummilicious!!!

The Recipe:

Cheesy Cauliflower Pancakes

1 head cauliflower
2 large eggs
1/2 c cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 c panko
1/2 t cayenne pepper (more of less to taste)
salt
olive oil

Cut cauliflower into florets & cook in boiling water until tender about 10 minutes. Drain. Mash the cauliflower while still warm. Stir cheese, eggs, panko, cayenne & salt to taste.

Coat the bottom of a griddle or skillet with olive oil over medium-high heat. Form the cauliflower mixture into patties about 3 inches across. Cook until golden brown & set, about 3 minutes per side. Keep each batch warm in the oven while you cook the rest.

Makes 8 pancakes

Changes I made:

* I mixed in a handful of finely minced chives into the batter - it gave it more flavor.
* I added more panko as I see fit in order to make the batter less liquidy.
* Next time, I will drain the cauliflower in a colinder for a couple of minutes before mashing to give it a chance to relieve some retained water from the boiling.
* I will also work off of a larger pan or two medium sized pans so that I can do it in one sitting - I might even try to bake it instead.



via http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com/2009/09/cheesy-cauliflower-pancakes.html



2 comments:

  1. Wow, these sound really good. Have you ever had potato latkes? It's a "Jewish food". My dad's side of the family loves them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @lessonsinlifeandlight
    I've never had potato latkes, especially considering that my husband is half Jewish! But let me tell you, these cauliflower latkes blew my mind. It would be a great side dish for Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete